Code of Conduct
The Pulaski County Public Library strives to provide, on equal terms, free library services to all residents of Pulaski County. The library follows the American Library Bill of Rights which states, “A person’s right to use a library should not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background or views.”
The Library is for everyone’s enjoyment. The following guidelines for patrons conduct are essential to ensure respect for individuals who use this public facility.
To ensure a clean, comfortable and pleasant environment, the proper use and care of all library materials and buildings is essential.
- Patrons must not deface or improperly remove library materials, equipment, furniture or building.
- Library patrons should consume food only in authorized areas.
- To allow for the safety of all patrons, the following should be applied:
- Library patrons should park bicycles or other vehicles only in authorized areas
- The use of rollerblades, skates, or skateboards are not allowed on library property.
- Patrons should promptly leave the Library at closing time.
To allow for uninterrupted service, Library phones are for staff use only.
To ensure individuals’ right to use the Library free of disruption, Library patrons shall refrain from:
- Loitering or sleeping in the Library; cannot leave personal property unattended; blocking or loitering at library entrances.
- Disturbing others with loud or boisterous conduct.
- Soliciting or panhandling inside or outside the Library.
- Be offensive in language, action or body odor to other users or staff.
- Smoking or use of any other tobacco product is prohibited on library property.
- Using alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs.
The following also guide patron behavior to ensure minimal disruption of others:
- Cell phones and pagers should be answered promptly. Patrons should speak in low tones and keep conversations brief. If phone calls cannot be concluded quickly patrons should move to the foyer of the library.
- Patrons should abide by the established time limitations and the Library’s Acceptable Use of the Internet Policies (copies at Reference Desk)
- Patrons are expected to wear proper attire. Shirt and shoes are required.
This list is by no means all inclusive of behaviors of library users of which they may be expelled from library property. Violators of these rules will be advised of the rules and asked to correct their behavior. If the behavior is not corrected, they will be asked to leave the library property for an amount of time to be determined by the supervisor in charge. If the user is under the age of 16, every effort will be made to notify the parent in writing. Anyone refusing to leave the library property when requested is subject to prosecution under the Kentucky Revised Statutes.
Updated 9-15-2009, updated December 18, 2014